Youth Acting Program 14-17+yp
16th Street Youth Acting Program
At 16th Street, we believe that storytellers are vital. We are proud to encourage emerging young actors to develop their artistic and technical skills and craft stories they are passionate about telling.
The Youth Acting Program is a four-term training program for teen actors, we will have two teen ensembles in 2023 for ages 14 to 16 and the second ensemble for ages 17 to 18. 16th Street also has a Junior Acting Program, suitable for ages 11 to 13-year-olds.
Young actors train in technique and apply it to a wide range of theatre (plays) and film and television scripts. Throughout the program, they also develop the skills to create and perform their own original material. 16th Street prepares young adults with the necessary craft to pursue a professional acting career and live with confidence and self-belief.
16th Street is committed to fostering the unique talents of young creatives by introducing them to dynamic industry professionals who are skilled communicators in their areas of expertise.
‘I was excited to meet other people my age who had the same passions as I did. The 16th Street Youth Program really was looking at what we are actually doing, what this profession is and why so many people are absolutely in love with it.’ – Georgie Stone, Actor (Neighbours)
Youth Acting Program Course Outline:
- Introduction to the classics and influential contemporary text.
- Comprehensive script analysis and story structure.
- Character creation and story development.
- Sophisticated screen and theatrical training.
- Audition techniques for stage and screen.
- Development of vocal and physical presence for stage and screen.
- Preparation of audition monologues and their own self-devised work.
- A foundation in industry-standard acting techniques and craft.
- A sense of empowerment, understanding of story and narrative.
- Authentic stage and screen presence.
- An open-hearted relationship with oneself and others.
- Expressiveness in communication and listening skills.
- Their own self-devised script work and performance showcase.
Showcase for Actors:
At the conclusion of every term, young actors present their work in process to an audience. Throughout the year, young actors have the opportunity to improvise and write an original show (which they will learn how to pitch), construct a dream movie idea or create a terrific new scene for their showreel that showcases their unique talent.
‘My time at 16th street has entirely reshaped my concept of what it is to be an actor, opening my eyes and giving me a belief in myself that I would never have thought possible….. Enrolling in the youth program hasn’t just given me a new understanding of acting, it has truly made me a better person’ – Jesse Williams, Actor (Nowhere Boys)
Dates & Times:
8 Week Terms, Sundays 10 AM – 1 PM or 2 PM – 5 PM (two ensembles)
- Term 1: 4th Feb – 24th March
- Term 2: 21st April – 9th June
- Term 3: 21st July – 8th Sept
- Term 4: 13th Oct – 1st Dec
Class placement will be at the discretion of the 16th Street faculty.
16th Street invites young actors to submit an online application. After we receive the application, we will be in contact to arrange an audition with a 16th Street faculty member and provide further information regarding the audition process.
If you have any questions do not hesitate to contact us.
If you would like to view the acting program for 11 to 13-year-olds click here.